Skip to main content
Front view of the Capitol

Rep. Barry Moore's bill to deport illegal immigrants who drive impaired passes U.S. House of Representatives

February 1, 2024

Washington, D.C. - Today, Rep. Barry Moore (AL-02)'s bill, H.R. 6976, The Protect Communities from DUIs Act, passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 274-150. This legislation forces President Biden to deport illegal immigrants who have been convicted or committed the offense of driving while drunk or impaired.

From Rep. Moore's opening statement on the House floor:

"Every 45 minutes. That's how often someone in the United States dies in a crash involving an alcohol impaired driver. In 2021 alone, there were 13,384 alcohol-related driving fatalities. In the same year, drunk driving crashes led to nearly 400,000 injuries and deaths. Those crashes don't discriminate -- it could be me, it could be you, or it could be one of our family members. This issue hits close to home for me. There was a newlywed couple from my hometown of Enterprise, Alabama, named Angel and Jeremy Seay. I knew them personally. Angel and Jeremy were riding their motorcycle together when an illegal immigrant under the influence of alcohol collided into them with his pickup. Their lives were cut dramatically short. Sadly, tragedies like this are not uncommon across our country."

Rep. Moore's full remarks can be seen here: High-res | Twitter

###